Mac Walker's Resume
The curriculum vitae of Those Meddling Kids' owner
Master of Business in e-Business marketing from UTS,
Graduate Certificate in Business from UTS, Sydney: 2003
June 2006 to September 2007
Portal Strategy Manager, Hutchison 3G
Position: Strategy Manager in the Products & Services group
- Managed the world’s most successful 3G portal.
- Developed an “experience led” strategy (and business model) to change 3 Australia from delivering products to selling experiences.
- Leading the Personalisation projects for both 3 Australia and 3 UK, this will be one of the most advanced personalisation systems (currently in the second R&D stage).
- Analyse all aspects of 3’s business, to create a portfolio-view of its products to guide strategy and future investments.
- Created and launched the My 3 product to give customised control over the portal.
- Create innovative ways to open advertising space within 3’s portals.
- Give strategic direction for new initiatives in the consumer and enterprise markets.
August 2004 to July 2006
Senior Consultant—Convergent Media, Ericsson
Position: As a senior consultant I worked with both the telecommunications sector and media sector throughout Australia and Asia to create new markets for Ericsson.
- Set the strategy and direction for Ericsson’s convergent media and advertising initiatives (this new business sector is now growing strongly).
- Worked to create a CMO centric view of Ericsson for the global organisation, while based in Stockholm.
- Created a strategy for 3G launch for a major Indian telecommunications company while based in Delhi.
- Negotiated managed service component for a 3G platform, set up, and recruited this group.
August 2000 to April 2001
Product Manager, Vizzavi Europe
Position: Based in Paris and London, I was the Product Manager for wireless media services for Vizzavi, and joint venture between Vodafone Europe and Vivendi.
- Set strategy and value proposition for “mobile media” across Europe.
- Designed the user-interface for all WAP sites, which increased page views per site.
- Created a publishing framework for mobile media.
- Developed an auto-login feature that recognised users and logged them into a personal homepage. As a result Vizzavi achieved a 72% log-in rate.
- Product development for 21 new and unique WAP products.
- Negotiated with providers over Europe-wide content deals.
- Managed the launch of the UK and French WAP portals under budget and on time.
- Responsible for creating 75% of all traffic to Vizzavi UK and Vizzavi France.
Notes on the work done at Vizzavi
three occasions from 1999 to 2001
Project Manager, Telstra
Position: Project Manager for Telstra’s homepage and personalisation projects.
- Telstra’s homepage was given distinctive look that set it apart from its competitors.
- Created a modular design which meant that each piece of content rendered as its code was loaded. This meant that the apparent speed of the page loading was increased enormously.
- Specified and developed products for a personalisation strategy.
- Greatly increased the space for promotion and advertising on the homepage.
- Worked out a design and photographic style for the Telstra web site. Directed an all-digital photo shoot for the icons in the homepage.
May 1998 to July 1999
Senior Product Manager, Seven Online
Developed strategy and managed design and production for Seven’s digital media.
- Set the strategy and brand identity for all of Seven’s digital properties.
- Created and built a three-media Publishing System. This increased productivity by around 2000% in its first month of operation.
- Built the model for managing virtual communities around the web sites.
- Increased Seven’s share of web traffic. Increased session times considerably.
- With only four producers and no promotion, increased Seven’s audience share vastly.
Notes on the work done at Seven
January 1997 to July 1997
Senior Product Manager, MSN Australia
Position: Oversee the quality and production of sites at the Microsoft Network (MSN).
- Develop the user interface for MSN Australia.
- he MSN II international interface was a copy of the interface we developed in Sydney.
- Produced the MSN Australia News site which increased the audience of news at MSN
- Created web
sites for MSN
- Oversaw work of production companies creating web sites for MSN.
- Surfcam integrated 4 live Web-Cams at Sydney beaches into a website.
1996 to the present
Manager, Those Meddling Kids Pty Ltd
Position: Managing an e-Marketing consultancy company, Those Meddling Kids.
up to 1996
Freelance Art Director in Advertsing
For many years I worked as a freelance art director.
This meant that I was employed, along with a writer, to produce concepts for
advertising agencies. Often, as I had a lot of studio experience, I would also take the concepts through to finished production. I have worked up campaigns for
Johnnie Walker Black Label, Vat 69,
Intelifest, News Corporation, Digital and
August 1994 to October 1994
Art Director at John Singleton Advertising
Position: Position: Art director at this large Australian advertising agency.
August 1992 to August 1994
Senior Designer, Sudler & Hennessey
Position: Art Director at this international advertising agency.
- Reduced creative and production costs on print advertising by introducing fully computerised design methods.
January 1990 to September 1992
Art Director, Social Change Media
Position: Art director at, Social Change Media, a political advertising agency.
- Created and implemented a strong brand identity for Land Council communications.
- A campaign for the NSW Aboriginal Land Council resulted in the biggest petition ever gathered in NSW, and ended in victory when the bill was overturned in parliament.
- Helped to develop a system for running localised election campaigns for the Australian Labor Party. Worked on three campaigns using this system
- Produced a streamlined “How to Vote” campaigns for Federal and State Election Days.
- Australian Labor Party attributed a 2% swing to our activities.
April 1989 to December 1989
Senior Designer, Mitchell Paterson Advertising
Position: Art Director at this direct marketing Advertising Agency.
June 1988 to February 1989
Designer, John Fairfax
Position: Designer in the promotions department at Fairfax, an Australian Newspaper publishing group.
June 1987 to July 1988
Analyst, Mercantile Mutual Insurance
Position: Organisation and Methods Analyst for this Sydney based insurance company.
- I saved Mercantile Mutual $200,000 in a year though improving their workflow and production methods.